Sunday, June 19, 2011

More Than Father's Day


Dad with his kids, nephew and nieces
I am the son, grandson and nephew of painters. My dad worked for his dad growing up. Shortly after coming home from Korea, where he served in the Marine Corps he started his own painting business in 1952, one year before I was born.

Dad and me working on the Lake house
When I was 8 years old I was allowed to go to the job site with dad sweeping and cleaning. I eventually worked my way up to becoming the baseboard expert. I learned to sand, putty and wrap baseboards. Dad said when I could touch the top of the door casing without standing on a bucket I would graduate from baseboards. That was a day I longed for.

Painting a water tower
Dad had 3 passions; his family, his business and remodeling the homes we lived in. As a boy growing into adulthood it was the perfect combination leading to not only a career, but passion of construction. His passion gives me many happy memories related to my life in construction, the day he told my mom I was ready for my own hammer or Saturday mornings waiting anxiously as mom packed my lunch and dad finished breakfast so that we could get into the truck for the drive to work. What pride I felt sitting next to my dad holding firmly on to my lunch. My dad is no longer with us, but I still remember the first time he gave me a company truck and sent me out to paint a house exterior by myself.

Grandpa Elings
Dad taught by example and what he gave his 7 children was a legacy of hard work, resourcefulness, creativity and persistence.  He instilled in us pride of a job well done, to strive for perfection and craftsmanship. Cutting corners was not acceptable but continuing to learn and being open to new techniques was to be desired.
Grandpa Miller and Dad
Dad's other love; his grandchildren
Not so secret love; his ice cream

4 comments:

Susan Jackson said...

You are awesome, Barry. Just like your Dad and Mom!

BarryE said...

awww...Thanks Susan. We were lucky

Anonymous said...

Linda on moms computer - Well said Barry, and well written! Love ya!

BarryE said...

Thank you Linda.